Tuesday, April 29, 2008

where women glow and men plunder

Some random thoughts on Australia:

1. Not to fret, people of Seattle. You aren't the only ones who've mastered the art of no-eye-contact-no-smiling.

2. Perhaps everyone here is too busy contemplating their architecture to smile. Melbourne is packed with really interesting buildings. No HomeOfficeDepotMax buildings-in-a-box to be found.

3. Public transportation is everywhere. Particularly streetcars. All of their streetcars ("trams" to the locals) are packed with people. Haven't seen many buses to speak of.

4. Everybody walks on the left. Except me.

5. I've completely stopped jaywalking because I have no idea where the cars are going to be coming from. Directly out of the sky for all I know.

6. There's an old tall ship moored across the river from my hotel called Polly Woodside. Ironic: not made of wood. More ironic: made of iron.

7. americano = long black

8. Piles and piles of really cool things to do here that I don't have time for. I should have stayed an extra day. Or week.

9. Melbourne is frickin' beautiful. The promenade along the Yarra River is a fantastic walk, especially at night. Albert Lake sits smack in the middle of South Melbourne surrounded by great green space. St. Kilda beach is just beyond and I may try walking down there tomorrow morning if I wake up at 4:00AM like I did today.

10. Sure, string theory is complicated and all but try figuring out Australian rules football.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife enjoyed our visit to Melbourne in '99. We can't wait to go back.