Thursday, May 1, 2008

he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich



More random thoughts on Australia because I can't be bothered to compose a coherent train of thought. You're welcome.


  • I am continually amazed at how beautiful Melbourne is. The architecture is a suprising mix of modern and classic. And the green space. Oh man, what incredible parks these people have.


  • The guy sitting next to me in the office has Beastie Boy's Intergalactic as the ringtone on his cellphone. So at random points during the day I rock out to MCA, Mike D and Ad-Rock. But only for four seconds at a time.


  • It gets dark here early, around 5:30. It is after all, winter. (I'm a little confused on how it can be winter in Melbourne AND Seattle at the same time but it is what it is.) So my routine has been to get up early - around 4AM - and walk around to the places I want to see before work so I have a chance at seeing them in the daylight. My body has no idea what time it is anyways and seems to be just fine with the 80yr old man schedule of in bed by 9:00 and up by 4:00.


  • Speaking of walking in the dark, Melbourne feels safe to walk around any time of day. I've yet to be even slightly concerned anywhere I've walked in this city.


  • The other night I was walking around downtown looking for a reasonable place to eat. And by reasonable, I mean less than $35/plate. When lo and behold, I stumbled across Beers Deluxe. Since the only thing better than beer is deluxe beer, I figured I better give it a shot. When the waitress set down in front of me a spiral bound notebook of their list of beers including a table of contents organized by genre, well. As we say in Montana: I was happier than a two-peckered billy goat.


  • Beers Deluxe was in this place called Federation Square. Just frickin' cool. Go there at night. Thank me later.


  • "For someone who said he wasn't going to do any blog posts, you sure do blog alot." Yeah, yeah, yeah. Wait until I'm back in San Jose, CA in a few weeks. Be happy I won't be blogging about that trip.


  • Seven out of ten toes do not have blisters on them. That's a clear majority so suck it up, Sally.


No comments: