Monday, October 1, 2007

a boat like gideon brown

I went to a wedding this weekend at Rosario Resort on Orcas Island in the San Juans. One of the attendees showed up in a chartered 28' Camano trawler and spent the weekend on the boat. We had plenty of opportunities to spend time on this fun little boat and I came away super impressed. As per usual, I WANT ONE. (I swear, if they ever let me take the space shuttle for a spin*, I'd sidle up to a NASA guy afterwards and whisper "what do these things run for?")

I was always under the impression that I'm in the wrong tax bracket to afford fuel for a motorboat so I immediately discarded all non-sailboats. However, now I'm learning that the small displacement boats can cruise at a reasonable gallon-per-hour rate. Not terribly fast but likely faster than any comparable sailboat.

Of course, there's all sorts of bluster and huffing to be done on either side of the sailboat v. powerboat debate. I have no interest in this argument. I like boats. They float on water and let me go cool places in a fun way and I think living on one would be bad to the ass.

*In my universe, NASA lets me take space shuttles for test spins. If you don't like my reality, might I suggest an alternate reality?

No comments: