Thursday, February 21, 2008

heigh ho, it's off to work we go

I work in Fremont right off the water. I live in a houseboat on Eastlake. I own a kayak. Of course I should be kayaking to work. However, we've had a winter chock full of crappy weather and bombing winds out of the south. Winds out of the south means I have to paddle upwind on the way home. That's a recipe for sucking the fun out of kayaking so I haven't done much (read: any) kayak commuting lately.

But the weather gods have been smiling upon Seattle lately and last Friday was exceptionally nice. So I plopped into my kayak and off I went to work.


Paddling down the fairway between houseboats.


How do you not love this town?


Watch out for traffic, though.


Cruising up the east side of the lake.


Heading towards the Aurora Bridge.


Pulling into the dock at the rowing club in front of my office.


We almost raced on this boat one time. True story.


On my way back home after a hard day's work. Can you just see the rigors of the commute on my face?


Interesting to stare down a seaplane coming right at you from a kayak. Our skydiving instructors always called the moving propellor of an airplane "mystery meat makers". Funny what you remember, huh?


Back in the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

watch out for speed bumps

Kimber said...

you ARE the speed bump, right?

very nice play by play.

Caramel missed you. I think she wants to see you in a neon orange banana hammock.

Fisher ran into Edwina.

WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU 2 HERE??? Look at all you're missing.

Jason said...

Phew, no speed bumps. Nor was I turned into one.

We were expecting to find Edwina all blown up and ready to go in our bed on the houseboat when we got back. Relieved she wasn't there... We finally pawned Eddie off on Christy's Wisconsin folk.

Terribly sorry to have missed all the weekend happenings.